Basic Bread Pudding
Source of Recipe
List of Ingredients
- 8 lrg. croissants, 2 loaves French Bread or similar amount of bread
- 6 lrg. eggs
- 2 2/3 C. half and half or heavy cream
- 2/3 C. sugar
- 1/4 C. butter, melted and cooled
- 2 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 C. rum
- Creme Anglaise
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Cube bread and put into a well buttered 13x9 inch baking pan. In a large bowl, whisk together the rest of ingredients. Pour over bread. Bake in a water bath for an hour or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool at least 20 minutes before cutting.
- CREME ANGLAISE
In a pot, bring 1 cup milk to a simmer. At the same time, whisk 3 yolks, 1/4 C. sugar, 1/8 tsp. salt and 2 tsp. vanilla bean paste together in a medium bowl. Slowly pour warm milk into yolk mixture. Whisk until sugar has dissolved. Pour the custard back to the pot, and continue whisking until it reaches 165 degrees.
4. Remove from heat, strain the custard into a bowl set over an ice-bath to stop the cooking process. Pour over cooling bread pudding.