Black-Eyed Pea Dip
Source of Recipe
From "Bon Appétit: Entertaining with Style"
List of Ingredients
- 1¼ cups dried black-eyed peas
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 3-ounce package cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1½ cups shredded Cheddar cheese (about 6 ounces)
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced
- Tortilla chips
- Place peas in heavy medium saucepan. Add enough water to saucepan to cover peas by 2 inches. Let stand 30 minutes. Drain. Add water to cover peas by 2 inches. Generously salt water. Stir in one garlic clove. Boil until the peas are very tender, adding more water to pan if necessary, about 1 hour.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer peas to processor. Process until smooth. Add remaining garlic clove and next three ingredients. Pulse until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer dip to 8-inch-diameter pie plate or quiche dish. (Can be prepared 2 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Top dip with Cheddar.
Bake until dip is heated through and cheese bubbles, about 20 minutes. Sprinkle dip with green onions and serve with tortilla chips.
Makes 6 servings