Caramelized Onion Dip
Source of Recipe
From "What Can I Bring?" by Elizabeth Heiskill
List of Ingredients
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 ounces (¼ cup) salted butter
- 2 large onions, very thinly vertically sliced (about 7½ cups)
- ¾ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup mayonnaise (such as Hellmann's)
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Potato chips (such as Ruffles)
- Heat the oil and butter in a large skillet over medium; cook until butter melts. Add the onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is caramelized, about 50 minutes, reducing the heat as needed to prevent the onion from burning.
- Remove from the heat; stir in salt and pepper, and cool to room temperature, about 15 minutes. Coarsely chop the onion mixture.
- Combine the cream cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise, and Worcestershire sauce in a bowl, stirring with a whisk until smooth; fold in the onion mixture. Refrigerate until chilled, about 30 minutes. Serve with the potato chips.