Classic Swiss Cheese Fondue
Source of Recipe
From "Fondue" by Lou Seibert Pappas
List of Ingredients
- 8 ounces Emmentaler cheese
- 8 ounces Gruyère cheese
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 clove garlic, halved
- 2 cups dry white wine, such as Rhine Riesling
- 3 Tbsp kirsch
- Dash of freshly grated nutmeg
- Salt and white pepper (optional)
- 2 baguettes, cut into bite-sized cubes, each with some crust on
- Shred both cheeses coarsely or dice them into ¼-inch pieces. Toss the shredded cheese lightly with cornstarch until evenly coated.
- Rub the insides of a fondue pot with the garlic and discard the garlic. Pour the wine into the pot and set over low heat until bubbles rise. Gradually add the cheese, a handful at a time, stirring each time until the cheese is completely melted. Avoid letting the mixture come to a boil. Stir in the kirsch. Sprinkle with nutmeg and season to taste with salt and white pepper, if using.
- Serve with a basket of crusty bread cubes to dunk into the sauce.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.