Hogs in a Pretzel Blanket
Source of Recipe
Bon Appétit, February 2015
"Put a tray of these in the oven when the first guests show up."
Recipe Link: https://tinyurl.com/hogsinpretzelblankets
List of Ingredients
◦ 2 large egg yolks
◦ 1 sheet frozen puff pastry (one 14-ounce package of half a 17.3-ounce package), thawed
◦ All-purpose flour (for dusting)
◦ 4 precooked pork sausages (such as andouille or kielbasa; about 1 pound), halved lengthwise
◦ ˝ teaspoon baking soda
◦ Kosher salt and poppy seeds (for sprinkling)
◦ Whole grain Dijon mustard (for serving)
Preheat oven to 400° F. Mix yolks and 1 tablespoon water in a small bowl until smooth. Gently roll out puff pastry on a lightly floured surface just to press out any creases; brush with egg wash. Cut into 8 long strips. Lightly dust sausages with flour. Working one at a time, wrap pastry around sausage, egg wash side facing in. If pastry becomes too soft, chill until firm before continuing.
Place rolled-up sausages on a parchment-lined baking sheet, cut side down. Mix baking soda into remaining egg wash and brush over pastry (this will give dough a sheen); sprinkle with salt and poppy seeds. Chill 15 minutes.
Bake until pastry is puffed and golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes.
Let cool. Slice into bite-size portions and serve with mustard.
Makes 12 servings
❧ Do Ahead:
Sausages can be rolled in pastry one day ahead. Cover and chill. Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with salt and poppy seeds just before baking.