Side: Jake's Cowboy Beans
Source of Recipe
From "Pitmaster" by Andy Husbands
List of Ingredients
- 2 cups (about 1 pound) dry pinto beans
- 2 cups barbecue sauce
- 1 cup cane syrup
- 1 cup brewed coffee
- 1/2 cup bourbon
- 1 pound chopped barbecue brisket
- 4 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 Tbsp ground cumin
- 2 Tbsp red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Soak the pinto beans overnight in cold water.
- Strain the beans and place in a 6-quart saucepan. Cover the beans with water and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until just tender, about 1 hour.
- Drain the beans and return to the saucepan. Add the barbecue sauce, cane syrup, coffee, bourbon, chopped brisket, chili powder, cumin, and red pepper flakes. Simmer for 30 minutes. Taste, and add kosher salt as needed.
Serves 6 to 8 as a side dish.