Side: Summertime Macaroni Salad
Source of Recipe
From "The Stubb's Bar-B-Q Cookbook" by C.B. Stubblefield
List of Ingredients
- 8 ounces small pasta (such as elbows, medium shells, or other salad size)
- ¾ cup mayonnaise (preferably Hellman's or Best Foods)
- 3 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice (plus more as needed for refreshing)
- 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup minced onion
- ½ cup diced green bell pepper
- 1½ cups corn kernels
- 4 ounces diced sharp Cheddar or longhorn cheese (about 1 cup)
- ½ tsp dried dill weed (optional)
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Cook the pasta in a large pot with plenty of salted water until "al dente," according to package directions. Do not overcook.
- Drain the pasta but do not rinse. Spoon the mayonnaise into a large bowl. While the pasta is warm, add it to the bowl and mix it up with the mayonnaise. Stir in the lemon juice and olive oil. Add the onion, bell pepper, and corn and mix. Finally, now that the pasta has cooled, mix in the cheese, dill, salt, and pepper.
- Serve at room temperature, or lightly chilled. Just prior to serving, taste the salad and refresh the flavors as needed. It may need more lemon juice, mayonnaise, salt, or pepper.
Serves 6 to 8