Bacon and Gruyère Quiche
Source of Recipe
From "Retro Recipes from the '50s and '60s" by Addie Gundry
List of Ingredients
- 12 ounces bacon
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 3 large shallots, sliced
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 6 large eggs
- 1½ cups heavy cream
- 1 (9-inch) deep-dish pie crust (store-bought or homemade)
- 1 cup shredded Gruyère cheese
- Pinch of grated nutmeg
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375° F. Cut the bacon into small pieces and cook until crisp. Drain on paper towels.
- In a medium pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the shallots and three of the thyme sprigs and cook, stirring, until the shallots are soft and starting to caramelize. Turn off the heat and set aside; remove and discard the thyme.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and heavy cream. Set aside. Spread the shallots over the bottom of the pie shell. Add half the bacon and half the Gruyère over the shallots. Pour the egg mixture over the bacon and cheese. Sprinkle with the nutmeg and cayenne. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Spread the remaining bacon and Gruyère over the top of the quiche. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes more, until the quiche is set and golden.
- Let cool for 15 minutes before cutting. Garnish with a sprig of thyme, if desired, and serve.