Baked Eggs with Spinach and Tomato
Source of Recipe
From "Saveur: The New Classics" by Weldon Owen
"Baked eggs (sometimes called shirred eggs) are a simple, hearty all-in-one breakfast. The technique can be applied to almost any combination of meats, vegetables, and cheese; here, the flavors of layered spinach, tomato, bacon, and egg meld together beautifully, tied together by Parmigiano and a hint of nutmeg."
List of Ingredients
◦ 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
◦ 4 tablespoons cooked chopped spinach, squeezed to extract excess liquid
◦ 4 eggs
◦ ½ tomato, cut into four wedges
◦ 2 tablespoons heavy cream
◦ 1 slice bacon, cooked and chopped
◦ 2 tablespoons grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
◦ ½ teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
◦ ¼ teaspoon grated freshly nutmeg
◦ Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Arrange an oven rack 10 inches from broiler and heat broiler. Grease two 8-ounce gratin dishes with butter. To each dish, add 2 tablespoons spinach. Using your fingers, make two wells in each pile of spinach and crack two eggs into each dish.
Nestle two wedges of tomato on opposite sides of each dish. Pour 1 tablespoon heavy cream into each dish. Add half of the bacon to each dish.
Sprinkle each dish with 1 tablespoon Parmigiano, ¼ teaspoon thyme, ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Transfer to oven rack and broil until cheese is golden brown, whites of eggs are set, and yolks are still slightly soft, about 5 minutes.
❧ Cook's Note: Serve the hot gratin dishes on top of serving plates lined with paper napkins to prevent the dishes from slipping.