Source of Recipe
From "Screen Doors and Sweet Tea" by Martha Hall Foose
List of Ingredients
- 3½ cups whole milk
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1¼ cups quick-cooking grits
- 8 ounces sharp Cheddar cheese, grated (2 cups)
- 1 tsp hot pepper sauce
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 5 large eggs
- ⅛ tsp hot paprika
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Butter a shallow 2½-quart baking dish. In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, combine 1½ cups of the milk, 2 cups water, the butter, garlic and salt. Bring to a rolling boil. Slowly whisk in the grits. Whisk continuously for a minute, until no lumps remain. Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the remaining 2 cups milk, the hot sauce, pepper, and eggs. Gradually add the hot grits, stirring to combine. Pour the grits into the prepared dish and sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake for 45 minutes, until puffy around the edges and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
• This casserole can be assembled the day before, refrigerated, and baked the next day. Add 20 minutes to the baking time.