Butter: Steak Finishing Butter
Source of Recipe
From "Pitmaster" by Andy Husbands
List of Ingredients
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened, divided
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 sprig thyme
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, plus more as need
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Place ˝ cup of butter, the shallot, the garlic, and the thyme sprig in a small saucepan over low heat. Let the butter melt, stirring occasionally, and cook until the garlic and shallots are translucent and soft, about 30 minutes. Remove from the heat, discard the thyme sprig, and let the butter mixture cool to room temperature. It will start to congeal.
- Once the melted butter has cooled, transfer it to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Add the remaining ˝ cup of soft butter, garlic powder, sea salt, and pepper. Blend on low speed until fully incorporated. Taste for seasoning; it should be a little salty.
- Transfer the butter to a sheet of waxed paper or plastic wrap, form it into a tightly wrapped log, and refrigerate. Soften the butter at room temperature before using. Smear this butter on your perfectly grilled beef steak or —bonus recipe!— grill some wings and toss them with room temperature steak butter and a couple whacks of your favorite hot sauce.
Refrigerate, wrapped tightly, for up to 2 weeks. Freeze for up to a month.
Makes about 1 cup.