Nanny's Famous Coconut-Pineapple Cake
Source of Recipe
From "The Southern Living Annual Recipes Cookbook"
List of Ingredients
- 1 (15 ¼-ounce) can crushed pineapple in juice, undrained
- 1-1/2 cups butter or margarine, softened
- 3 cups sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 1/2 cup lemon-lime soft drink (such as 7-Up)
- 3 cups cake flour, sifted
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pineapple Filling (recipe follows)
- Cream Cheese Frosting (recipe follows)
- 1 (6-ounce) package frozen flaked coconut, thawed
- Garnish: Fresh mint sprig (optional)
- Grease bottom and sides of three 9-inch round cake pans; line bottoms with waxed paper. Grease and flour waxed paper.
- Drain pineapple, reserving 3/4 cup juice. Remove 1/4 cup reserved pineapple juice for Cream Cheese Frosting, and reserve the crushed pineapple for Pineapple Filling.
- Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy; gradually add sugar, beating well. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until blended after each addition. Combine 1/2 cup reserved pineapple juice and soft drink. Add flour to butter mixture alternately with juice mixture, beginning and ending with flour. Beat at low speed until blended after each addition. Stir in the flavorings. Pour into prepared cake pans.
- Bake at 350° F for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from pans immediately; cool on wire racks.
- Spread 3/4 cup Pineapple Filling between each cake layer; spread the remaining filling on top of cake, spreading to within 1/2-inch of edges on all layers. Spread Cream Cheese Frosting on sides of cake, and pipe border around top, if desired. Sprinkle coconut on sides and border, and garnish, if desired.
Makes one 3-layer cake.
• 2 cups sugar
• 1/4 cup cornstarch
• 1 cup reserved drained pineapple
• 1 cup water
Stir together sugar and cornstarch in saucepan. Stir in pineapple and water. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes or until very thick. Cool.
Makes 3 cups.
Cream Cheese Frosting:
• 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
• 1 (3-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
• 1 (16-ounce) package powdered sugar, sifted
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 3 to 4 Tbsp reserved pineapple juice
Beat butter and cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer until blended. Gradually add powdered sugar, vanilla, and enough pineapple juice to make frosting a good spreading consistency, mixing well.
Makes 2 cups.
Erma Jean (Jeannie) Reese won first prize in the dessert category of the Southern Living "Celebrated Holiday Recipe Contest" with this cake.