Chunky Tomatillo Salsa
Source of Recipe
From "Food in Jars" by Marisa McClellan
List of Ingredients
- 4 pounds tomatillos, husked, washed, and finely chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped onion (about 1 medium onion)
- 3 to 4 jalapeņo peppers, minced (seeds removed for a milder salsa)
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup / 120 ml bottled lime juice
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- Prepare a boiling-water bath and 3 regular-mouth 1-pint jars. Place the lids in a small saucepan, cover them with water, and simmer over very low heat.
- Combine the tomatillos, onions, jalapeņos and garlic in a large pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer 10 minutes. Add the cumin, sea salt, lime juice, and cilantro. If you prefer a smoother salsa, you can use an immersion blender to break down some of the salsa at this time.
- Cook for an additional 10 minutes. Taste the salsa and add more salt, cumin, or lime juice if necessary.
- Ladle the hot salsa into the prepared jars, leaving 1/2 inch of headspace. Wipe the rims, apply the lids and rings, and process in a boiling-water bath for 15 minutes.
- When the processing time is up, remove the canning pot from the heat and remove the lid. Let the jars sit in the pot for an additional 5 minutes. This helps to prevent the salsa from reacting to the rapid temperature change and bubbling out of the jars.
Makes 3 (1-pint) jars.