Texas Jalapeño Jelly
Source of Recipe
List of Ingredients
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and chopped
- 3 medium green peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces, divided
- 1½ cups white vinegar, divided
- 6½ cups sugar
- ½ to 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 pouches (3 ounces each) liquid fruit pectin
- About 6 drops green food coloring (optional)
- In a blender or food processor, place the jalapeños, half of the green peppers, and ½ cup vinegar; cover and process until puréed. Transfer to a large Dutch oven. Repeat with remaining green peppers and another ½ cup vinegar.
- Add the sugar, cayenne, and remaining vinegar to pan. Bring to a rolling boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Quickly stir in pectin. Return to a rolling boil; boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat; skim off foam. Add food coloring, if desired. Carefully ladle hot mixture into hot half-pint jars, leaving ¼-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles; wipe rims and adjust lids. Process for 10 minutes in a boiling-water bath.
Makes 7 half-pints.