Old-Fashioned Tuna Noodle Casserole
Source of Recipe
From "Retro Recipes from the '50s and '60s" by Addie Gundry
List of Ingredients
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- ½ cup diced onion
- 1 (10.5-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup sour cream
- ⅓ cup whole milk
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 12 ounces wide egg noodles, cooked
- 1 (12-ounce) can solid white albacore tuna in water, drained well
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1½ cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- ⅓ container (6-ounce) French fried onions
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Coat a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until tender and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the cream of mushroom soup, mayonnaise, sour cream, milk, salt, pepper, and the cooked onions and butter from the skillet. Mix well.
- Add the noodles, tuna, peas, and Cheddar cheese. Gently fold the mixture until well blended. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Top evenly with the fried onions.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, until the casserole is bubbling and the topping is beginning to brown lightly. Serve.