Squash and Swiss Cheese Casserole
Source of Recipe
From "The Southern Living Party Cookbook"
List of Ingredients
- 3 to 4 pounds yellow squash, cut into ⅓-inch slices (about 8½ cups)
- 2 medium-size yellow onions, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 flat-leaf parsley sprigs
- 2 thyme sprigs
- ½ cup (4 ounces) salted butter
- 6 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp seasoned salt (such as Lawry's)
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- ⅛ tsp ground nutmeg
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper
- 4 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 6 ounces Swiss cheese, shredded (about 1½ cups)
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs, from 1 baguette
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil; add the squash, onions, bay leaves, parsley, and thyme. Cook until the squash is barely tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and discard the herbs.
- While the squash cooks, melt 6 tablespoons of the butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high. Add the flour, and cook, whisking constantly, about 1 minute. Gradually whisk in the milk and cook, whisking constantly, until the mixture boils and thickens, about 11 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, and whisk in the kosher salt, seasoned salt, Worcestershire sauce, nutmeg, and cayenne. Gradually stir about one-fourth of the hot milk mixture into the yolks; add the yolk mixture to the remaining hot milk mixture, stirring constantly.
- Return the saucepan to medium-low; cook until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Whisk in 1 cup of the cheese. Add the sauce to the squash mixture; stir gently to combine. Pour into a lightly buttered broiler-proof 13-by-9 inch (3-quart) baking dish.
- Melt the remaining butter; stir in the breadcrumbs. Sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture and remaining ½ cup cheese over the squash. Bake until the top is lightly browned and the sauce is bubbly, about 35 minutes. Increase the oven temperature to broil. Broil 6 inches from the heat until the breadcrumbs are golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes.