Buttermilk Southern Fried Chicken
Source of Recipe
From "Dori Sanders' Country Cooking"
List of Ingredients
- 1 frying chicken, about 2 to 3 pounds, cut up
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1 tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp garlic powder (optional)
- ¼ tsp onion powder (optional)
- About ½ cup vegetable oil
- Wash chicken pieces thoroughly and pat dry. Place chicken in a long, shallow glass baking dish. Pour the buttermilk over the chicken, cover, and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, turning once or twice.
- In a clean plastic or brown paper bag, combine the flour, salt, pepper, paprika, and, if desired, the garlic and onion powders. Place 2 or 3 pieces of chicken in the bag and shake well to coat evenly. Repeat until all chicken has been coated with seasoned flour mixture.
- In a large, heavy skillet, heat approximately ½ inch of oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add chicken (in batches, if necessary) and brown on all sides, about 3 minutes per side. Place browned chicken on a warm platter until all pieces are cooked.
- When all the chicken pieces are browned, crowd them into the skillet, turn heat to medium-low, cover, and cook, turning occasionally, until tender, about 35 to 40 minutes.
Remove cover, turn heat to medium-high, and cook 6 to 8 minutes more or until skin is crispy. Serve at once.