Cheddar Cheese and Beer Soup
Source of Recipe
From "Hot and Cheesy" by Clifford A. Wright
List of Ingredients
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 small carrot, finely chopped or grated
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp dry mustard
- ½ tsp paprika
- 8 ounces mild Cheddar cheese, shredded or grated (about 2 cups)
- 7 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1¼ cups half-and-half
- One 12-ounce bottle ale
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh chives
- In a large pot, melt the butter over low heat. Add the onion and carrot, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the flour, dry mustard, and paprika until well blended. Add the cheese and broth and stir slowly until the cheese is melted, about 5 minutes.
- Add the half-and-half and ale and simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes. Serve, garnishing each bowl with some chives.
Makes 8 servings