Cheesemonger's Mac and Cheese
Source of Recipe
Recipe Link: https://tinyurl.com/cheesemongersmac
List of Ingredients
◦ 1 ½ cups coarsely grated Gruyère cheese
◦ 1 ½ cups coarsely grated sharp cheddar cheese (about 6 ounces)
◦ 1 ½ cups diced rindless Brie (cut from 1-pound wedge)
◦ 5 tablespoons butter, divided
◦ ¼ cup all-purpose flour
◦ 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
◦ ¾ teaspoon (scant) nutmeg
◦ 4 cups whole milk
◦ 1 ¾ cups fresh breadcrumbs made from crustless French bread
◦ 1 pound penne pasta
◦ 8 teaspoons whipping cream (if making one day ahead)
Mix all cheeses. Set aside 1 cup for topping; cover and chill. Melt 4 tablespoons butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and stir until mixture turns golden brown, about 4 minutes. Add thyme and nutmeg. Gradually whisk in milk. Simmer until thickened and smooth, stirring often, about 4 minutes. Add cheeses from large bowl. Stir until melted and smooth.
Melt 1 tablespoon butter in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add breadcrumbs; toss. Stir until golden, about 2 minutes. Transfer to plate.
Preheat oven to 375° F. Cook pasta in boiling salted water until tender but firm to bite. Drain. Transfer to large bowl. Pour cheese sauce over; toss. Divide among eight 1 ¼-cup custard cups. Sprinkle with 1 cup cheese. Place cups on rimmed baking sheet. Cover with foil; chill. Do Ahead: Can be made 1 day ahead. Drizzle each with 1 teaspoon cream. Cover with foil; bake 15 minutes. Uncover. Sprinkle partially baked chilled or just-assembled cups with breadcrumbs. Bake pasta until beginning to bubble and tops are golden, about 20 minutes.
Makes 8 servings