Chicken and Gravy on Toast
Source of Recipe
From "Scratch" by Maria Rodale
"I often have leftover roasted chicken and gravy on toast. It's one of my cravings. But once I didn't have any leftovers, so I made a cheat's version using some chicken breast and stock from the freezer to make gravy. My kids ask for this dish all the time."
List of Ingredients
◦ 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
◦ 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
◦ 3 or 4 small boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 pound total)
◦ 4 cups chicken stock, store-bought or homemade
◦ ½ cup all-purpose flour
◦ 4 slices whole wheat bread, toasted
In a large cast iron skillet, heat the butter and oil over medium-high heat. Cut each breast into three even pieces and cook for 8 minutes, or until browned on both sides.
Add the chicken stock to the skillet and cook for 5 minutes, or until hot. Transfer 1 cup of the stock to a small bowl and mix with the flour until well combined.
Bring the chicken and stock to a boil, add the flour mixture, and stir until thickened. Season with salt to taste. To serve, top the toasts with the chicken and a little gravy.