Creamed Chicken and Waffles
Source of Recipe
From "Retro Recipes from the '50s and '60s" by Addie Gundry
List of Ingredients
- 1 (8.5-ounce) package corn bread mix
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup whole milk
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 Tbsp (½ stick) unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- ½ cup finely diced carrot
- ⅓ cup finely diced celery
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups whole milk or half-and-half
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ⅛ tsp poultry seasoning or dried thyme
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken breast (see Note)
- ½ cup frozen peas, thawed
- Preheat a Belgian electric waffle iron. Preheat the oven to 200° F.
- For the waffles:
In a small bowl, combine the corn bread mix, egg, milk, and vegetable oil and whisk until smooth. Set aside while the waffle iron heats.
- For the topping:
In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, and celery and cook, stirring, until the vegetables are softened, about 4 minutes. Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and cook, stirring, until the flour has been completely absorbed, about 1 minute. Gradually stir in the milk, salt, and poultry seasoning and cook, stirring, until the mixture has thickened, about 3 minutes. Pour into an oven-safe dish. Stir the cooked chicken and peas into the topping and keep warm in the heated oven.
- Use half the waffle mixture to make the first waffle, following the manufacturer's instructions. Remove the waffle and transfer it to the oven to keep warm while you make the second waffle.
- To serve, place two quarters of each waffle on each serving plate and top with a scoop of the chicken mixture. Serve immediately.
◦ Note: To cook the chicken, place 3 medium boneless, skinless chicken breasts on a baking sheet and bake at 350° F for 30 minutes. Cut into cubes.