7-Layer Bacon Dip
Source of Recipe
From "The Outdoor Table" by April McKinney
List of Ingredients
- 1 (16-ounce) can refried beans
- 1 (16-ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 medium Hass avocados
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 medium tomatoes, choppped
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 (16-ounce) container sour cream
- 2 cups freshly shredded Cheddar cheese
- ½ cup sliced green onions
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Tortilla chips, for serving
- Mix together the refried beans and the pintos in a medium bowl. Evenly spread the beans into a 13- x 9-inch dish.
- In a medium bowl mash together the avocados, lime juice, tomatoes, and salt. Spread over the beans, and then spread the sour cream on top as evenly as possible.
- Sprinkle the sour cream layer with the cheese, green onions, and then the bacon. Cover and refrigerate this dip until you are ready to serve it with tortilla chips.
Makes 12 to 14 servings
We made this for Superbowl 52 on February 4, 2018. I used only refried beans (not both kinds of beans) because that is what I had on hand. My husband accidentally picked up a 24-ounce container or sour cream, versus the 16 ounces called for. By the time I realized it seemed like too much sour cream, it was too late (lol). The only other changes I made were to season each layer with kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper, and cayenne pepper to taste (as the additional sour cream muted the flavors a bit) - and used pepper jack for the cheese, as that's what was on hand already. Despite all these omissions and additions, the dip was fabulous - so fabulous, in fact, that my grown son ignored his steak and lobster (not like him) and ate the whole pan of dip - taking the rest home with him! My one-year-old daughter enjoyed it, as well. So I'd say, all in all, this recipe is a keeper, and one that will make frequent reappearances in our household.