Party-Ready Italian Heros
Source of Recipe
Bon Appétit, February 2016
"Visit an Italian deli and splurge on the cold cuts, but hit the supermarket for everything else, including the not-too-crusty rolls that are usually loaded into bins in the bakery section."
Recipe Link: https://tinyurl.com/partyitalianheros
List of Ingredients
◦ 2 tablespoons Italian hot spread sauce (such as Tutto Calabria) or 2 jarred pickled jalapeños, finely chopped
◦ 1 teaspoon crushed dried oregano, plus more for serving
◦ 1 red onion, very thinly sliced
◦ Mayonnaise (for rolls)
◦ 8 6- to 9-inch soft Cuban, hero, or hoagie rolls, split lengthwise
◦ 2 pounds assorted cured meats, such as prosciutto cotto, mortadella, coppa, hot soppressata, and/or Genoa salami, thinly sliced
◦ ½ pound provolone cheese, thinly sliced
◦ 1 head of iceberg lettuce, shredded
◦ Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
◦ Red wine vinegar and olive oil (for serving)
Combine hot spread sauce and 1 teaspoon oregano in a small bowl.
Place onion in a small bowl and add cold water to cover; let soak 10 minutes. Drain; pat dry.
Working one sandwich at a time, spread mayonnaise over each roll and ¼ cup Italian sauce mixture over bottom half. If using prosciutto and/or mortadella, drape slices so that the meat folds over itself to make a pleated mound down the length of the roll (about 4 slices total). Shingle other sliced meats of your choosing over top, overlapping slightly. Top with provolone, ½ cup iceberg, and some onion; season with salt and pepper. Drizzle with vinegar and oil and sprinkle with a little more oregano. Close sandwich and cut in half crosswise.
Makes 8 servings