Tom's Layered Mexican Dip
Source of Recipe
From "Goldy's Kitchen Cookbook" by Diane Mott Davidson
"When you're going to someone else's house to watch the football game, this is a good recipe to take. Enjoy it within 24 hours of making it, because the guacamole and tomato layers are perishable."
List of Ingredients
◦ 2 avocados
◦ 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
◦ 2 tablespoons medium or hot picante sauce
◦ 2 tablespoons freshly grated onion
◦ 2 ½ cups sour cream
◦ Contents of one 16-ounce jar spicy black bean dip (or one 16-ounce can of refried beans, mixed with an additional ¼ cup picante)
◦ 2 tomatoes, chopped (about 3 cups)
◦ 6 scallions, chopped (including tops)
◦ 1 ½ cups sliced pitted black olives
◦ ½ pound cheddar cheese, grated
◦ Tortilla chips, for serving
To make the guacamole, peel, pit, and scoop the avocados into a bowl. Mash with the lemon juice, picante sauce, grated onion, and ½ cup of the sour cream until the mixture is smooth. Set aside. (Or you can use 2 cups store-bought guacamole.)
Using a large platter or a 9-by-13-inch glass pan, place the bean dip into the bottom of the pan. Carefully smooth the guacamole on top of the bean dip. Place the sour cream on top of the guacamole layer. Layer the tomatoes, scallions, olives, and cheddar on top.
Chill the platter or pan and serve with tortilla chips.
Makes 24 servings