New Year's: Hoppin' John
Source of Recipe
From "Craig Claiborne's Southern Cooking" by Craig Claiborne
List of Ingredients
- ⅛ pound streaky bacon or salt pork, cut into small cubes (about ½ cup)
- ⅓ cup diced carrots
- ½ cup finely chopped celery
- ⅔ cup finely chopped onion
- 10 ounces fresh or frozen black-eyed peas
- 1 whole clove garlic
- 2¾ cups water, approximately
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt to taste, if desired
- ¼ tsp dried hot red pepper flakes
- 1 cup rice
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 ripe tomato (about ¼ pound), cored
- ¼ pound sharp Cheddar cheese, finely grated
- 1 cup finely chopped scallions, including green part
- Put the bacon or salt pork in a saucepan and cook, stirring often, until all the cubes are crisp. Add the carrots, celery, and onion and cook, stirring, about 1 minute.
- Add the peas, garlic, about 1¼ cups water, or to barely cover, thyme, bay leaf, salt, and red pepper flakes. Bring to the boil and let simmer, uncovered, 30 to 40 minutes, until tender but not mushy. Remove from heat.
- Put the rice in a saucepan and add 1½ cups water and salt to taste. Bring to the boil and let simmer 17 minutes. Stir in the butter. Cut the unpeeled tomato into ¼-inch cubes; there should be about 1 cup.
Arrange the hot rice in the center of a platter. Spoon the hot pea mixture, including liquid, over the rice. Scatter the cheese over the peas. Place tomato cubes around the rice. Scatter the scallions over the tomatoes. Serve immediately.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.