Labor Day: Carolina Barbecue Coleslaw
Source of Recipe
From "The Glory of Southern Cooking" by James Villas
List of Ingredients
- 1 medium head green cabbage (about 2 pounds)
- ½ cup cider vinegar
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp butter, melted
- ¼ tsp celery seeds
- ¼ tsp dry mustard
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Remove and discard any blemished outer leaves of the cabbage, cut the head into quarters, cut out and discard the hard inner core, and shred the quarters into a large glass bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk together all remaining ingredients till thoroughly blended, pour over the cabbage, and toss till the cabbage is well coated with the dressing.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill 2 hours before serving with any barbecued meats or a chopped pork barbecue sandwich.
Makes about 8 (side-dish) servings.