New Year's: New Year's Day Black-Eyed Peas
Source of Recipe
From "Craig Claiborne's Southern Cooking" by Craig Claiborne
List of Ingredients
- 2 pounds dried black-eyed peas
- ½ pound slab of lean bacon, cut into ¼-inch cubes (about 2 cups)
- 1 sweet green or red pepper, finely chopped (about ¾ cup)
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- ½ cup finely chopped celery
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 3½ cups chicken stock
- Salt to taste, if desired
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 dried hot red peppers, crumbled
- Approximately 6 to 7 cups water
- Rinse the peas and drain. Put the bacon in a heavy kettle and cook, stirring, until rendered of fat and browned. Add the chopped sweet pepper, onion, and celery, and cook, stirring, until wilted.
- Add the peas, vinegar, stock, salt, pepper, and dried hot peppers. Bring to the boil. Cover closely and let simmer about 1 hour.
- Add 6 cups water and return to the boil. Let simmer about 1 hour, stirring occasionally from the bottom. Check the peas and, if necessary, add more water. Continue cooking 30 minutes. The total cooking time is 2½ hours or longer.
Makes 16 or more servings.