Thanksgiving: Creamed Peas and Onions
Source of Recipe
Bon Appétit, November 2012
"Peas and onions are a classic holiday duo. Relying on frozen ones, along with a quick béchamel, is a smart move on a busy day of cooking."
List of Ingredients
◦ 2 cups whole milk
◦ 3 whole cloves
◦ 1 bay leaf
◦ 1 pound pearl onions (about 2 cups), peeled and trimmed, or 1 pound frozen pearl onions, thawed
◦ 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
◦ 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
◦ 1 teaspoon sugar
◦ 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
◦ ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
◦ ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
◦ 2 1-pound bags frozen peas, thawed
◦ ¼ cup crème fraîche, whole-milk Greek yogurt, or sour cream
Bring milk, cloves, and bay leaf to a boil in a small saucepan; reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes to let flavors meld. Strain into a medium bowl; discard solids. Cover milk and keep warm.
Meanwhile, place onions in a large skillet (at least 12 inches). Add water to half-cover the onions (about 1 cup). Add 1 tablespoon butter, 1 teaspoon salt, and sugar. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until liquid has evaporated and onions are golden brown, about 12 minutes. Gently transfer onions to a large plate.
Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in same skillet over medium heat; add flour and whisk to combine. Cook, stirring occasionally and scraping up browned bits from bottom of pan, for 1 minute. Whisk in reserved milk, adding ¼-cupful at a time. Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly. Stir in remaining ½ teaspoon salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Add peas and onions; stir until heated through. Gently fold in crème fraîche.
Makes 8 to 10 servings