Thanksgiving: Sweet Onion Marmalade
Source of Recipe
From "Williams-Sonoma: The Best of Thanksgiving"
List of Ingredients
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 Vidalia or other sweet onions, about 3 pounds, coarsely chopped
- ¾ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ cup firmly packed golden brown sugar
- ¼ cup white balsamic vinegar
- 3 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- Freshly ground black pepper
- In a large frying pan over medium heat, warm the oil. Add the onions and salt and stir to coat the onions with the oil. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are soft and pale gold, about 30 minutes.
- Stir in the brown sugar, vinegars, honey, and thyme. Season to taste with pepper. Simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the onion juices have evaporated and the mixture is thick, about 30 minutes.
- Let the mixture cool to room temperature for immediate use, or transfer to an airtight container, cover, and refrigerate for up to 3 weeks before serving.
Serves 8 to 10