Cats: Chicken Liver Crunchies
Source of Recipe
From "The Ultimate Cat Treat Cookbook" by Liz Palika
List of Ingredients
- ½ cup cooked chicken livers
- ½ cup warm water
- ¼ cup finely grated carrots
- 1¼ cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- ¼ cup flour, for rolling out treats
- ¼ cup dried catnip, for rolling out treats
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place the cooked chicken livers, water, and carrots in a food processor or blender and blend to a thick paste.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the chicken liver paste with the 1¼ cups whole wheat flour and the oil, mixing well. The dough will be sticky. Sprinkle the catnip and the ¼ cup flour on a breadboard, combining them lightly with your fingers.
- Roll out the dough in the flour and catnip until the dough is ¼-inch thick. Use a 1-inch cookie cutter to cut out the treats; place the cut-out treats close together on a greased cookie sheet. (These treats will not rise or spread.) If your cat likes smaller treats, score all the cookies with a sharp knife, creating a + on each cookie so that it can be broken after baking.
- Bake for 5 to 7 minutes or until the bottoms of the treats are golden brown. Flip the treats and bake for another 5 minutes or until both sides of the treats are golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, let cool thoroughly, and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Freeze excess treats for up to several months.
Makes 45 to 50 (1-inch) treats
• Crunchier Treats:
If your cat loves crunchier treats, when all the cookies have been baked, turn off the oven. Place all the cookies back on a cookie sheet and return them to the oven. Leave the cookies in the cooling oven for several hours or overnight.