Italian Pasta Salad
Source of Recipe
From "In the Kitchen with David" by David Venable
"This colorful salad is ideal for summertime neighborhood gatherings, family picnics, and outdoor barbecues. Pieces of Italian salamis, sun-dried tomatoes, and mozzarella are tossed with tricolored pasta for a one-bowl antipasto. When looking to add color to your meals, turn to this recipe."
List of Ingredients
◦ 2 tablespoons kosher salt, plus more to taste
◦ 1 pound tricolored rotini or fusilli
◦ 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
◦ 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
◦ 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
◦ ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
◦ ¼ pound Genoa salami, cut into ½-inch cubes
◦ ½ pound sweet soppressata, thinly sliced and cut into julienne strips
◦ ½ cup (1 ounce) sun-dried tomatoes (not oil-packed), soaked in hot water for 5 minutes, well drained, and chopped
◦ 8 ounces mozzarella, cut into ½-inch cubes
◦ ¾ cup pitted black olives, drained and chopped
◦ 1 cup packed fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
◦ ¼ cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
◦ Freshly ground black pepper
Bring a large pot of water to the boil. Add 2 tablespoons salt. Add the rotini and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender but still firm to the bite. Drain the pasta in a colander and set aside to cool.
Put the garlic, mustard, vinegar, olive oil, and salt to taste in a lidded jar and shake vigorously.
Combine the pasta, salami, soppressata, sun-dried tomatoes, mozzarella, olives, basil, and Parmesan in a large bowl. Toss well with some of the dressing. Add more dressing and salt and pepper to taste. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
Makes 6 to 8 servings