Warm Brownie Pie
Source of Recipe
From "The Old Farmer's Almanac Comfort Food"
List of Ingredients
- Your favorite piecrust
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1⅓ cups chocolate chips, divided
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, preferably toasted
- Roll the pastry into a 12-inch circle and line a 9-inch (not deep-dish) pie plate with it. Pinch the overhanging pastry into an upstanding rim or trim to be flush with the side of the pan and crimp the edge with a fork. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add 1 cup of the chocolate chips and heat for a few seconds more, then remove from the heat. Tilt the pan to make the butter run over the chips. Set aside for 5 minutes. Whisk to smooth the chips.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, sugars, and vanilla and whisk until evenly blended. Add the melted chocolate and whisk to blend. Add the flour and salt and stir until combined. Add the nuts and the remaining ⅓ cup of chocolate chips. Scrape the filling into the piecrust and smooth the top.
- Bake on the center oven rack for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a crust develops and the pie rises slightly. (A toothpick inserted into the center will not come out clean.) Transfer to a cooling rack. Serve warm.
Makes 8 to 10 servings