Homemade Sloppy Joes
Source of Recipe
From "Retro Recipes from the '50s and '60s" by Addie Gundry
List of Ingredients
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- ½ cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1 tsp finely minced garlic (optional)
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 Tbsp bottled chili sauce
- 1 Tbsp light brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp yellow mustard
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 8 hamburger buns
- Sliced sweet pickles (optional)
- Potato chips, for serving
- In a large skillet, crumble the beef and brown it over medium-high heat, breaking up any clumps, for about 3 minutes. Add the onion, bell pepper, and garlic (if using) and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes more.
- In a medium bowl, combine the tomatoes and their juices, the chili sauce, brown sugar, mustard and salt. Add the tomato mixture to the skillet and bring the mixture to a low boil. Reduce the heat to low and partially cover the pan. Simmer, stirring once or twice, until the mixture begins to thicken, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the broiler.
Toast the hamburger buns under the broiler until the cut sides are golden. Spoon the meat mixture onto the buns and garnish with pickle slices and potato chips to serve.
Makes 8 sandwiches
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20-30 minutes