Kai's Favorite Sesame-Orange Chicken
Source of Recipe
From "Half Baked Harvest Super Simple" by Tieghan Gerard
"I've always been a people pleaser—and since I was thirteen years old, food has been my way of making those around me happy. I always take requests. Case in point: this orange chicken. Where we live in the Colorado mountains, we definitely do not have a Panda Express. So when my brother Kai requested I make one of his favorite greasy airport meals, orange chicken, I naturally obliged. Of course, I put my own twists on the dish, adding in lots of sesame, fresh ginger, and an extra shot of citrus. I opted to pan-fry the chicken versus deep-fry. The verdict? It could not have turned out better—Kai actually deemed it better than the original."
List of Ingredients
◦ 1 ½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces
◦ 4 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
◦ ¼ cup all-purpose flour
◦ 1 (1-inch) piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
◦ 2 cloves garlic, grated
◦ Zest and juice of ½ orange
◦ 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
◦ 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
◦ 1 to 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
◦ 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
◦ 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
◦ 2 green onions, chopped, plus more for serving
◦ Steamed white rice, for serving
◦ 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds, for serving
In a medium bowl, combine the chicken, 2 tablespoons of the soy sauce, and the flour. Toss, making sure the flour has evenly coated the chicken.
In a small bowl or glass measuring cup, whisk together the remaining 2 tablespoons of soy sauce and the ginger, garlic, orange zest, orange juice, hoisin sauce, vinegar, red pepper flakes, and toasted sesame oil.
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
When the oil shimmers, add the chicken in an even layer and cook, stirring, until browned all over, about 5 minutes. Pour in the sauce and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens and the chicken is coated, 5 to 10 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the green onions. Serve the chicken over rice and top with more green onions and toasted sesame seeds.
• You could also make this dish with frozen shrimp or even a head of cauliflower broken into florets for a vegetarian option. All are equally delicious.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes