Chicken Salad with Apples, Celery, and Cherries
Source of Recipe
From "In the Kitchen with David" by David Venable
"Chicken salad often gets a bad rap. It's sometimes made with too much mayonnaise, leaving it gloppy. But knowing how popular chicken salad is, I made it my mission to rescue it from a sea of sameness and to ramp up its flavors. I decided to add apples, celery, and cherries for some real texture, color, and flavor. And cut *waaaay* back on the mayo. Now this dish is both delicious and pretty."
List of Ingredients
◦ 3 cups cooked and shredded chicken
◦ ½ cup diced celery
◦ ½ cup peeled and diced apple
◦ ¼ cup dried cherries
◦ ¼ cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
◦ 2 to 3 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
◦ 4 to 6 tablespoons mayonnaise
◦ 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
◦ 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
◦ ¼ teaspoon dry mustard
◦ Kosher salt
◦ ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
◦ 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
Combine the chicken, celery, apple, cherries, pecans (if using), and red onion in a large bowl.
Whisk together the mayonnaise, vinegar, lemon juice, and mustard in a small bowl. Season with salt and the pepper.
Pour the mayonnaise mixture over the chicken mixture and toss until the chicken is evenly coated. Sprinkle with the parsley before serving.
Makes 4 to 6 servings