Source of Recipe
From "Barefoot Contessa Parties!" by Ina Garten
"The key to good shrimp salad is to undercook the shrimp. I know it sounds amazing, but they really do cook in 3 minutes. This salad makes a delicious lunch on its own, a first course for dinner, or a great sandwich filling. The old wives' tale about mayonnaise spoiling on a picnic is false; it's the shrimp that spoils, so be sure all your ingredients are cold before you mix them."
List of Ingredients
◦ 3 tablespoons kosher salt plus 1 teaspoon
◦ 1 lemon, cut into quarters
◦ 4 pounds large shrimp in the shell (16 to 20 shrimp per pound)
◦ 2 cups good mayonnaise
◦ 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
◦ 2 tablespoons good white wine or white wine vinegar
◦ 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
◦ 6 teaspoons minced fresh dill
◦ 1 cup minced red onion (1 onion)
◦ 3 cups minced celery (6 stalks)
Bring 5 quarts of water, 3 tablespoons salt, and the lemon to a boil in a large saucepan. Add half the shrimp and reduce the heat to medium. Cook, uncovered, for only 3 minutes, or until the shrimp are barely cooked through. Remove with a slotted spoon to a bowl of cool water. Bring the water back to a boil and repeat with the remaining shrimp. Let cool, then peel and devein the shrimp.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, mustard, wine, 1 teaspoon salt, the pepper, and dill. Combine with the peeled shrimp. Add the red onion and celery and check the seasonings. Serve, or cover and refrigerate for a few hours.
• Chinese takeout containers are a great way to pack a picnic.