A Healthy Hoagie
Source of Recipe
From "Scratch" by Maria Rodale
"There are more than 15 names for this style of sandwich found across the country—subs, grinders, heros—but the hoagie is a Pennsylvania specialty. I love them. I'm not a fan of the squishy white bread and mystery meats that many conventional types are made with, though, so I make this healthier, organic version at home."
List of Ingredients
◦ 4 slices ham
◦ 6 slices hard salami
◦ 2 soft whole-wheat or whole-grain hoagie rolls
◦ 4 slices provolone cheese
◦ 1 tomato, thinly sliced
◦ ˝ small red onion, thinly sliced
◦ 1 cup finely sliced iceberg lettuce
◦ 6 pepperoncini peppers (optional)
◦ 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
◦ 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
◦ Salt and freshly ground black pepper
◦ Pinch of dried oregano
Assemble the sandwiches by layering the ham and salami on the bottoms of the buns. Top with the provolone, tomato, onion, lettuce and peppers (if using). Set aside.
To make the dressing: In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, oil, salt, pepper, and oregano and whisk with a fork to combine.
Drizzle the sandwiches with the dressing, sandwich with the tops of the buns, and serve.
Makes 2 hoagies