Source of Recipe
From "Barefoot Contessa at Home" by Ina Garten
List of Ingredients
- 12 thick-cut slices smoked bacon
- 8 slices good white bread, cut ½-inch thick
- ½ cup good mayonnaise, such as Hellmann's
- 4 to 8 tender green lettuce leaves, washed and spun very dry
- 2 ripe Hass avocados
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 large, ripe tomatoes, thickly sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Place a baking rack on a sheet pan and arrange the bacon on the rack in a single layer. Bake for 15 to 25 minutes, until the bacon is browned and crisp. Drain on paper towels and set aside.
- Place eight slices of bread on a sheet pan and toast them for 5 minutes. Turn the slices and toast for 1 more minute, until all the bread is evenly browned. Place four slices on a cutting board. Spread each slice with about 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise. Cover the slices with a layer of lettuce. Place 3 slices of bacon on each sandwich. Peel the avocados and slice them ½-inch thick. Toss the avocados gently with the lemon juice and arrange on top of the bacon. Add a layer of tomato slices and sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper.
- Spread each of the remaining four pieces of toasted bread with 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise and place, mayonnaise side down, on the sandwiches.
Makes 4 sandwiches.
"For the bread, I use bakery white bread or Pepperidge Farm Hearty White."