Egg Salad Sandwiches with Capers & Tarragon
Source of Recipe
From "Camille Glenn's Old-Fashioned Christmas Cookbook"
List of Ingredients
- 6 hard-cooked eggs, finely chopped
- 3 Tbsp mayonnaise, or more if needed
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1½ tsp capers
- 1 tsp white wine tarragon vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper to taste
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- 12 thin slices white bread
- Watercress sprigs, for garnish
- In a mixing bowl, combine the eggs, mayonnaise, and mustard. Stir to combine. Add the capers, vinegar, salt, white pepper, and cayenne. Mix well. Taste and adjust the seasonings if necessary. If the mixture seems too dry, add another tablespoon of mayonnaise.
- Spread the filling on 6 slices of bread and top with the remaining slices, pressing them down slightly. Trim off the crusts and cut the sandwiches into small triangles. Keep well covered with plastic wrap or aluminum foil and refrigerate until serving time.
- Arrange the sandwiches on a platter, garnish with watercress, and serve.
Makes 18 small sandwiches.
• Don't make these sandwiches more than two hours ahead. The filling is moist and they'll turn sodden if held too long.