.Smoky Soul Stock
Source of Recipe
From "Jubilee" by Toni Tipton-Martin
List of Ingredients
◦ 2 smoked ham hocks or two smoked turkey wings
◦ 2 medium onions, quartered
◦ 4 celery stalks, including leaves, halved
◦ 2 carrots, trimmed and quartered
◦ 2 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
◦ ½ teaspoon black peppercorns
◦ 2 bay leaves
In a large heavy stockpot, bring 3 quarts water, the smoked meat, onions, celery, carrots, garlic, peppercorns, and bay leaves to a boil. Reduce the heat, and simmer, partially covered, until the flavors are well blended, about 2 hours. The broth develops stronger flavor the longer you let it simmer.
Remove the meat from the broth. When cool enough to handle, pull the meat off the bones (discard the skin, fat, and bones). Chop the meat and reserve for another use. Use a fine-mesh sieve to strain the stock.
Refrigerate the stock until the fat floats to the top.
Use a slotted spoon to skim off the fat and discard. Store the stock tightly covered in the freezer.
Makes about 2 quarts