Baked Potato Soup, Trisha Yearwood's
Source of Recipe
From "Georgia Cooking in an Oklahoma Kitchen" by Trisha Yearwood
List of Ingredients
- 4 large baking potatoes *
- 6 bacon slices
- 2/3 cup (1-1/3 sticks) butter
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cups milk
- ¾ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 5 ounces Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 ounces sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 400° F.
Wash the potatoes and prick them several times with a fork. Wrap them individually in foil, and bake them for 1 hour, or until they are soft when squeezed. Let the potatoes cool slightly.
- While the potatoes bake, cook the bacon in a small skillet. Drain the bacon on paper towels and, when cool enough to handle, crumble it into small pieces. Set aside.
- In a large, heavy saucepan, melt the butter over low heat. Add the flour, stirring constantly for 1 minute until smooth. Gradually whisk in the milk and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, for 5 to 10 minutes, until the mixture is thick and bubbling. Cut the potatoes in half lengthwise, and scoop the flesh into the thickened milk mixture. Add the salt, pepper, green onions, reserved bacon, and Cheddar. Cook over low heat just until heated through. Stir in the sour cream and serve.
* Leftover baked potatoes may also be used for this recipe. Peel and mash them coarsely before adding to the milk mixture.