Cat's Cabbage Soup for the Soul *
Source of Recipe
My own version, adapted from my mother
List of Ingredients
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1˝ pounds double-smoked sausage (or Kielbasa)
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1˝ tsp cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ˝ cup Chardonnay
- 1 head cabbage, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 2 cans chicken broth (14.5 ounces each)
- 6 cups water (more if necessary)
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 6 slices garlic toast (made with French bread toast slices)
- Heat the oil in a medium stock pot over high heat and sauté the sausage slices for about 3 minutes or until browned. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. Do not drain the oil and drippings from the pan.
- Add onion, garlic, basil, cayenne and salt and pepper to the stock pot. Reduce heat to medium-high and sauté until the onions are tender, stirring, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the Chardonnay and cook for 2 minutes longer.
- Add the cabbage, reserved sausage, chicken broth and water. Toss in the sliced fresh mushrooms. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, for 20 to 30 minutes.To serve: Place a piece of garlic toast in the bottom of each bowl and ladle the soup over.Makes 6 servings.