Feel-Better Chicken and Rice Soup
Source of Recipe
"If you want this take on classic chicken soup to have a similar consistency to congee, add 10 to 15 minutes to the cooking time so that it can become nice and thick."
Recipe Link: https://tinyurl.com/chickenricesoup
List of Ingredients
◦ ¾ pound skinless, boneless chicken thighs
◦ ⅓ cup jasmine rice, rinsed
◦ 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
◦ 1 2-inch piece ginger, peeled, thinly sliced
◦ Kosher salt
◦ 2 small sweet potatoes, unpeeled, cut into ½-inch-thick rounds
◦ 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
◦ 2 tablespoons soy sauce
◦ ½ bunch cilantro, coarsely chopped
◦ Freshly ground black pepper
Bring chicken, rice, garlic, ginger, and 5 cups water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add a big pinch of salt. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered and stirring occasionally, until rice has swelled and chicken is firm, 10 to 12 minutes.
Add potatoes to pan and cook over medium-low heat, still uncovered and stirring occasionally, until soup is thickened and potatoes and rice are tender, 15 to 20 minutes longer. Transfer chicken to a bowl and shred with two forks, then return to pot. Stir in lemon juice and soy sauce; taste soup and season with salt if needed. Divide soup among bowls. Top with cilantro and lots of black pepper.
Makes 2 to 4 servings
❧ Do Ahead:
Soup (without cilantro) can be made three days ahead. Transfer to an airtight container and chill. Reheat over medium-low, adding water to thin as needed.