Gingery Chicken Noodle Soup
Source of Recipe
Bon Appétit, February 2023
"Inspired by my favorite instant noodles, Maggi masala noodles, this chicken noodle soup gets a heavy hand of aromatic curry powder and ginger for depth. The spice blend, along with a few alliums, provide tons of flavor while keeping things speedy, especially if you’re working with a prepared stock. Skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs also provide maximum opportunity for extracting flavor into the broth, while lime juice adds just enough brightness to offset the deep savoriness of the curry powder. To keep things one-pot-easy, I use wheat noodles that only need a few minutes to cook through. You’ll be surprised just how fast this comes together."
Recipe Link: https://tinyurl.com/gingerychickensoup
List of Ingredients
◦ 1 pound skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs
◦ Kosher salt
◦ 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
◦ 1 bunch scallions, white and pale green parts thinly sliced, dark green parts cut into 1 ½-inch pieces
◦ 1 2-inch piece ginger, peeled, sliced into matchsticks
◦ 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
◦ 1 tablespoon curry powder
◦ Freshly ground pepper
◦ 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
◦ 3 medium carrots, peeled, sliced on a diagonal ¼-inch thick
◦ 8 ounces fresh wheat noodles (such as yakisoba or ramen) or 6 ounces dried ramen noodles
◦ 1 tablespoon (or more) fresh lime juice
◦ Lime wedges (for serving)
Season thighs with kosher salt; let sit at room temperature while you start the soup.
Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium. Add scallions, ginger, and garlic; season with salt. Cook, stirring often, until scallions are softened and beginning to brown around edges, about 5 minutes. Add curry powder, season generously with freshly ground pepper, and stir to coat.
Pour in broth and 3 cups water and bring to a boil. Add chicken, reduce heat, and simmer until thighs are cooked through, 18 to 22 minutes. Using tongs, transfer chicken to a plate; let cool slightly.
Add carrots to broth; cook 3 minutes. Add noodles and dark green scallion parts. Cook, stirring occasionally, until noodles are just tender. Remove from heat and stir in fresh lime juice. Taste soup and add more salt and/or lime juice if needed.
Remove skin from chicken thighs, then shred meat with two forks or your hands; discard skin and bones. Divide soup among bowls and top with chicken; season with pepper. Serve with lime wedges for squeezing over.
Makes 4 to 6 servings