Autumn Country Captain Casserole
Source of Recipe
"This refreshing Autumn version of Country Captain Casserole is perfect for Sunday supper with your family and friends."
Recipe Link: https://tinyurl.com/yxx95cp6
List of Ingredients
◦ 3 cups butternut squash, peeled and diced
◦ 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
◦ 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
◦ ¾ teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
◦ 1 cup thinly sliced shallots
◦ 2 cloves garlic, minced
◦ 1 (14.5-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes, undrained
◦ 1 cup basmati rice
◦ 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
◦ 1 teaspoon curry powder
◦ 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
◦ ½ cup chopped green onions
◦ 2 large eggs
◦ ½ cup whole milk
◦ Garnish: sliced green onions
Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Spray a 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
In a large bowl, stir together squash, 1 teaspoon oil, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Arrange squash in an even layer on prepared baking sheet. Roast for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, and set aside. Leave oven on.
In a large Dutch oven, heat remaining 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high heat. Add shallots; cook, stirring frequently, until tender, about 8 minutes. Add garlic; cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add roasted squash, tomatoes, rice, broth, curry powder, remaining 1 ½ teaspoons salt, and remaining ½ teaspoon pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and cook until liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
Stir in chicken and green onions; spoon into prepared baking dish. In a small bowl, whisk together eggs and milk; pour over rice mixture.
Bake until squash is tender and eggs are cooked, about 30 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes. Garnish with green onions, if desired.
Makes 6 to 8 servings