Fried Country Ham with Red Eye Gravy
Source of Recipe
From "Christmas Memories with Recipes"
List of Ingredients
- One slice country ham, preferably center cut, about 1 pound
- ¾ cup strong, freshly brewed coffee
- Cut off a strip of fat from the outside rim of the ham, leaving a portion of the fat intact. Cut the strip of fat into small cubes. Using a sharp knife, cut the fat remaining on the ham at intervals down to the meat.
- Put the cubed fat into a skillet, preferably of black cast iron, and cook, stirring, until the fat is rendered. Scoop out and discard the rendered pieces of fat. Add the ham slice to the skillet and fry until nicely browned on one side. Turn the slice and continue frying until brown and cooked through.
- Remove the ham slice. Pour the coffee into the skillet and cook, stirring, about 1 minute. Cut the ham slice into 2 to 4 pieces and serve the gravy on the side, to be poured over grits and/or spooned over the ham pieces.
Serves 2 to 4