Hot Fried Chicken
Source of Recipe
From "Country Cooking From a Redneck Kitchen" by Francine Bryson
List of Ingredients
- 4 cups shortening
- 3½ pounds bone-in skin-on chicken pieces
- Salt and black pepper
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup whole milk
- ½ cup hot sauce (I use Texas Pete)
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp onion powder
- 1½ Tbsp cayenne pepper
- 1 Tbsp paprika, plus more for serving
- In a deep-fryer or a large, heavy-bottomed pot, heat the shortening to 375°F.
- Season the chicken pieces on all sides with salt and black pepper.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, hot sauce, and 1 teaspoon salt. In a separate shallow bowl, mix together the flour, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne, paprika, and 1 tablespoon black pepper.
- Working in batches, coat each piece of chicken in the flour and spice mixture. Dip in the egg mixture, then return the chicken to the flour mixture for a second coat. Once coated, put immediately into the hot shortening and fry, turning once, until deep golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Drain the chicken on paper towels or a flat brown paper bag. Sprinkle with a dusting of paprika before serving.