Shirley's Tomato Sandwiches
Source of Recipe
From "The Savannah Cookbook" by Damon Lee Fowler
List of Ingredients
- About 5 or 6 medium ripe tomatoes
- 60 thin slices from home-style white bread
- About 1 cup mayonnaise
- 8 slices bacon, cooked crisp and finely crumbled
- McCormick's Seasoning Salt
- Cut out the stem end of the tomatoes and, if you like, peel them with a vegetable peeler. Cut them into 30 even slices. Spread the tomatoes on a platter and sprinkle lightly with salt. Let them stand 15 minutes, drain well, and pat dry. Cut each slice of bread into rounds with a large (2¼-inch) biscuit cutter.
- Blend together the mayonnaise and bacon bits, and mix in seasoning salt to taste. Spread on one side of each round of bread. Lay one tomato slice over half the bread rounds, top with remaining bread, spread-side down. Cut each sandwich in half.
- Line two 12-inch round trays with paper lace doilies. Arrange the sandwiches on the trays by standing them up on the flat side in concentric circles. Serve immediately.
Makes 30 round or 60 half-moon sandwiches.