Tailgate Muffuletta for a Crowd
Source of Recipe
From "Margaritaville" by Carlo Sernaglia and Julia Turshen
List of Ingredients
- 1 celery stalk, finely diced
- 3 Tbsp minced red onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 jarred roasted red bell pepper, finely diced
- ½ cup mixed pitted olives, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp drained capers
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- 1 large loaf seeded Italian bread (about 1½ pounds), round if you can find it, split
- ¼ pound thinly sliced salami
- ¼ pound thinly sliced prosciutto
- ¼ pound thinly sliced mortadella
- ¼ pound thinly sliced provolone cheese
- ½ pound fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
- Place the celery, onion, garlic, roasted pepper, olives, capers, vinegar, olive oil, and oregano in a medium bowl and stir well to combine.
- Spread the olive salad evenly over the cut sides of the bread. Layer on the salami, prosciutto, mortadella, provolone, and mozzarella. Close the sandwich and wrap it tightly in plastic wrap.
- Place a baking sheet on top of the sandwich and place something heavy (like a cast-iron skillet or a few cans of tomatoes) on top of the baking sheet. Let the sandwich sit for at least 1 hour. Slice the sandwich into individual portions and serve.