Twisty Pretzels with Beer Cheese Dip
Source of Recipe
From "Picnics, Potlucks, and Porch Parties"
List of Ingredients
- One 0.25-ounce package active dry yeast
- 2 Tbsp packed brown sugar
- 1⅛ tsp salt
- 1½ cups warm water
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup bread flour
- 2 cups hot water, divided
- 2 Tbsp baking soda
- 1½ Tbsp butter, melted
- 2 Tbsp coarse kosher salt
- Dissolve yeast, brown sugar, and salt in warm water in a large bowl until foamy.
- Stir in both flours. Turn dough onto floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes. Place in greased bowl, turning to coat. Cover, and let rise until double in size, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 450° F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper. Combine 2 cups hot water with baking soda in a shallow bowl or pan.
- Turn dough onto floured surface, and cut into 12 equal pieces. Roll each into a thin rope, and twist into pretzel shape. Dip each into baking soda mixture. Transfer to baking sheets, 6 per sheet, 2 inches apart.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes, turning halfway through. Brush pretzels with melted butter, and sprinkle with kosher salt. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Makes 1 dozen
Beer Cheese Dip:
• 1 (12-ounce) bottle beer
• 3 cups grated Cheddar cheese
• 2 Tbsp flour
• One 8-ounce package cream cheese, cubed and softened
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• Salt and black pepper to taste
In a saucepan over medium heat, bring beer to a simmer.
In a bowl, toss cheese with flour. Add cheese mixture to beer with remaining ingredients. Stir until cheese has melted, and texture is smooth, about 5 minutes. Strain through a fine-mesh strainer. Keep warm until ready to serve.